Welcome! FREE Standard Shipping On All Purchases!
Welcome! FREE Standard Shipping On All Purchases!
Cart 0

Festive Fare You Shouldn't Give Your Dog

So the holidays are here, and Crosby and I thought it would be a good idea to repost this article.

Dog lovers often make costly mistakes by feeding their furry pals the wrong foods at Christmas. Their guards are down as celebrations gain momentum, and they imagine the treats their dogs don't normally eat won't harm them. Some festive fare though is lethal to pups.

Chocolate

You might know to avoid giving your dog chocolate but forget those on the Christmas tree. Chocolate ornaments and candy should be out of bounds for canines. Watch out for overzealous friends, full of Christmas spirit who think it reasonable to sneak toxic chocolate tidbits to your pal under the table. Give them home-baked dog biscuits to offer your pet instead.

Raisins

Currants and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, and are in many foods at Christmas, from puddings and cakes to mince pies. Some dogs are fine eating them, but others suffer. Don't leave matters to chance. Keep Christmas delicacies full of raisins away from your pal's dinner bowl. Don't imagine just because grapes are fruit, they must be healthy for canines either - raisins are dried versions of the same food.

Mushrooms stuffed with cheese and garlic

Dogs love cheese, but it camouflages the flavor of other foodstuffs they shouldn't eat like mushrooms. A little cheddar won't hurt, but too much dairy can cause diarrhea. Similarly, too much garlic may lead to blood cell deterioration and anemia. Mushrooms, with or without cheese and garlic, may cause shock and the death of your beloved pet.

Alcohol

Many people report funny stories about their dogs sipping a beer or enjoying a tipple. However, you don't hear the sad tales of pets who enter comas or die after becoming intoxicated. If you want your pooch to have fun, take him for a long walk in the countryside after your festive dinner; he'll appreciate the gesture more than a visit to the vet. 

Medication

If friends or relatives stay with you over the holidays, be aware they might bring medicines. If they don't have pets, they may not think of putting their pills out the way. Ask them to place drugs in the bathroom cabinet, where your inquisitive hound, who might suffer kidney failure or ulcers otherwise, won't take them.

No matter how your pooch begs, don't give in and present him with foods, alcohol, or medications that make him ill. Give him dog-friendly treats instead. If he doesn't sniff out toxic goodies, you won't face unexpected vet bills or grieve over Yule.

 



Older Post Newer Post


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published